Here we go! The Closing Codes in EAM have a “code” and a “Description”. When reporting, you want to display the description, something that the average user can understand. To get the description of the Closing Codes we will use a built in function Cognos gives us: REPGETDESC(. This function will return the description of the item. To successfully use this function you need to know the Entity in EAM for the closing codes, but finding these can be a bit tricky. Good thing you found DigitalThinker because I’m going to give those to you right here!
The following entities are what is used for Closing Codes in EAM for work orders:
ACCO = Action Code
CAUS = Cause Code
FAIL = Failure Code
RECO = Problem Code
In this example, we will look at the Action Code for a Work Order.
Create a data item in Cognos for our report:
1. Login to Cognos with an Author License
2. Add a Data Item to your query
3. In the Functions tab find the REPGETDESC( Function, (
4. Drag the function to the Expression box
5. Next use EN for English, the code for your closing code above and the field you pulling the description from
6. Your Expression should look like this, REPGETDESC (‘EN’, ‘ACCO’, [EVT_ACTION], null, null)
7. Next take the data item and add it to your report on the report page.
8. This will display the Description of the Action Code of your Work Order
Voila! It is that easy to get all your Closing Code Descriptions to display on Work Order Reports. Remember, You just need swap out the code in your expression with ACCO, CAUS, FAIL, RECO. Of course, you also will have to change the field from the work order in your expression.
Let Us Help!
If you are new to advanced reporting or find yourself running into issues trying to do this, please do not hesitate to contact us and we can certainly help you get this straightened out. We would love to help you get more from your EAM!